Wändi Bruine de Bruin is Professor of Behavioural Decision Making (with Leadership Chair) at the University of Leeds, where she co-directs the Centre for Decision Research. She also serves on the faculty of Carnegie Mellon University's Department of Engineering and Public Policy, and holds additional affiliations with the RAND Corporation, University of Southern California, and University of Michigan. She is a member of the scientific committee of the International Risk Governance Council, which brings together academics and policy makers to promote evidence-based policy making and policy-relevant research. She serves on the editorial boards of Psychology and Aging, the Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, and the Journal of Experimental Psychology:Applied. She has contributed to various expert panels and workshops, including for Health Canada, the US Federal Reserve, and the US National Academy of Sciences. Her ongoing research projects include (a) aging and decision-making competence; (b) financial distress in older adults; (c) public perceptions of climate change and extreme weather; (d) public responses to heat waves.
For more information, please see http://business.leeds.ac.uk/about-us/faculty-staff/member/profile/wandi-bruine-de-bruin/
- Bruine de Bruin, W. (2006). Save the last dance II: Unwanted serial position effects in figure skating judgments. Acta Psychologica, 123, 299-311.
- Bruine de Bruin, W. (2005). Save the last dance for me: Unwanted serial position effects on jury evaluations. Acta Psychologica, 118, 245-260.
- Bruine de Bruin, W., Downs, J.S., Fischhoff, B., & Palmgren, C. (2007). Development and evaluation of an HIV/AIDS knowledge measure for adolescents focusing on misunderstood concepts. HIV/AIDS Prevention in Children and Youth, 8, 35-57.
- Bruine de Bruin, W., Fischbeck, P. S., Stiber, N. A., & Fischhoff, B. (2002). What number is “fifty-fifty”? Redistributing excess 50% responses in risk perception studies. Risk Analysis, 22, 725-735.
- Bruine de Bruin, W., & Fischhoff, B. (2000). The effect of question format on measured HIV/AIDS knowledge in detention center teens, high school students, and adults. AIDS Education and Prevention, 12, 187-198.
- Bruine de Bruin, W., Fischhoff, B., Brilliant, L., & Caruso, D. (2006). Expert judgments of pandemic influenza risks. Global Public Health, 1, 178-193.
- Bruine de Bruin, W., Fischhoff, B., Millstein, S. G., & Halpern-Felsher, B. L. (2000). Verbal and numerical expressions of probability: “It’s a fifty-fifty chance.” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 81, 115-131.
- Bruine de Bruin, W., & Keren, G. (2003). Order effects in sequentially judged options due to the direction of comparison. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 92, 91-101.
- Bruine de Bruin, W., Parker, A.M., & Fischhoff, B. (2007). Can teens predict significant life events? Journal of Adolescent Health, 41, 208-210.
- Bruine de Bruin, W., Parker, A.M., & Fischhoff, B. (2007). Individual differences in Adult Decision-Making Competence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 92, 938-956.
- Downs, J. S., Bruine de Bruin, W., Murray, P. J., & Fischhoff, B. (2006). Specific STI knowledge may be acquired too late. Journal of Adolescent Health, 38, 65-67.
- Downs, J. S., Murray, P. J., Bruine de Bruin, W., White, J. P., Palmgren, C., & Fischhoff, B. (2004). Interactive video behavioral intervention to reduce adolescent females' STD risk: A randomized controlled trial. Social Science & Medicine, 59, 1561-1572.
- Fischhoff, B., Bruine de Bruin, W., Güvenç, U., Brilliant, L., & Caruso, D. (2006). Analyzing disaster risks and plans: An Avian Flu example. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, 33, 131-149.
- Parker, A.M., Bruine de Bruin, W., & Fischhoff, B. (2007). Maximizing vs. satisficing: Decision-making styles, competence, and outcomes. Judgment and Decision Making, 2, 342-350.
- Bruine de Bruin, W., Downs, J.S., & Fischhoff, B. (2007). Adolescents’ thinking about the risks and benefits of sexual behavior. In: Lovett, M.C. & Shah, P. (Eds.) Thinking with data. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, pp. 421-439.
- Risk Perception and Communication
Wändi Bruine de Bruin
Leeds University Business School
Centre for Decision Research
Maurice Keyworth Building
Leeds, Pennsylvania LS1 4JX
- Skype Name: wandibdb